Saturday, May 14, 2011

“Nit-picking” in its Most Literal Translation


I am going to start my blog this week with a small rant. Excuse me for a moment.
 (steps up on soap box…clears throat)

LICE are not a social disease. Having them does not demonstrate financial or social status. They are not a barometer for uncleanness…to the contrary, lice prefer a nice clean environment to live and nest in. They can not breathe when their exoskeleton becomes overwhelmed by the natural oils in a person’s hair; not to mention the eggs (or Nits) will not cling to the hair shaft when oils are in abundance. Therefore, having them only proves how truly clean you are. That being said, however, there is NO excuse for keeping them when there are so many over the counter, homeopathic and even prescription treatments available for minimal cost. Getting lice= CLEAN …KEEPING LICE= Dirty and irresponsible…get the picture?
End rant.

Aidan came home on Tuesday from school and our evening was as normal as any other until, after dinner, I decided to cut his hair. I got him up on the chair, pulled out the clippers, decided which attachment to use for just the right length, turned them on, tilted his head forward so I could start at the neck, and slowly began to buzz away the excess…when suddenly his head began to crawl!! I clipped away a little more and that is when I got a really good look at the vermin….LICE!  EWWW! I had my father-in-law run to the store and buy some de-lousing shampoo while I finished shaving his head…to my son’s dismay because he was hoping for a faux hawk. He now has a crew cut and I could see clusters of the nasty little bugs all over his head. We shampooed, towel dried, and oiled up his head and began to “nit-pick”. I did both of my kids…just to be safe and Aidan did NOT go to school Wednesday and I called the school Tuesday night and left a message so they could warn his teacher…I feel like a responsible parent! Wednesday night I went to the same extremes…treat with OTC Lice shampoo, wash the hair with Coconut 2 in 1 shampoo for kids, and then back to nit-picking. Finally I thought I had them all…I was wrong. I took Aidan to school Thursday morning and the nurse found eggs/Nits in abundance…that’s it!! Its my money or my sanity. A quick trip to Walmart and $7 later, we had ourselves a METAL lice comb. As soon as we got home I began my “skitzer” technique again…comb, pick, comb, pick, comb, pick….and I only stopped when I found NOT ONE egg on either of my children’s heads. I then turned to my own hair….long, thick, full of body…and in fact…I had eggs. I am now sitting here with my hair in a towel after treating with the lice shampoo and washing with a lightening shampoo that I use to bring out that summer blonde (it has a chemical that is similar to ammonia or peroxide and it makes me feel better to use it). Tonight…the boys hair will be washed and combed again…and hopefully the nurse won’t find any leftovers tomorrow. I will be sending Aidan to school with gelled up hair from now on because I figure the alcohol content in hair gel coupled with the greasy texture it gives the hair will help prevent us from getting them again before school ends in 2 weeks.

**UPDATE: Aidan was able to return to school on Friday. Guess my nit-picking was a success.


Most commonly suggested LICE home remedies*:

Listerine—original kind works best due to the higher alcohol content, but any flavor will do.
Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner
Rubbing Alcohol
Dog Flea and Tick Shampoo
Mayonnaise
Vegetable, corn, canola, olive, baby…basically any kind of oil
Skin so soft
Tea Tree oil—use small amount combined with baby shampoo as it burns the scalp if used pure
OFF or any kind of personal bug repellant
Lysol disinfectant spray—for furniture, bedding or other inanimate objects
Vinegar—any kind
Hair dye with ammonia or peroxide
HOT HAIR IRON…heat= dead bugs and eggs

And of course there are always the go to products:

RID, NIX or prescription products, a fine tooth comb (METAL nit combs designed for this use work best)

I use a combination of products coupled with patience and the grace of God to rid myself of these skin-crawling vermin. You can’t be too careful or too persistent.

* USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! This list is not to be used as medical advice. I do not suggest, recommend, or otherwise endorse any of the products as an alternative to a physician’s care or pharmacist recommendation. I am not a doctor or pharmacist and I do not play one on TV.

1 comment:

  1. Just read your blog and loved it! First of all, you're an excellent creative writer and you have a great attitude. I remember when my daughter was in junior college, she came home one weekend with a car load of clothes to be washed. They'd had an out-break at the school. What a quick education I got from that! I hope you continue happily "living in the Hall way" and I'll check back occasionally to see how the organized chaos is going. Brenda C. Peden, aka Memommie

    ReplyDelete